Good day to everyone! Peace be with you all.
I think this is a good mantra and I am going to start using it more often. More and more I am hearing about how people need to try and stay positive about work, life, health…just about everything in their life. There is a reason for that; as in my experience, as I get older and have more responsibility placed upon my brow, whether brought on myself or not, I have thought of these responsibilities as anchors to weigh me down and to feel terrible stress over. Things like job security, job enjoyment, every kind of bill that are always there, health issue, family to deal with. These and tons more are all but a few of the stresses we each of us face every single day of our lives. I think lots of people can relate to this. Am I right?
What many people lack, especially myself, are good mechanisms to deal with the stresses of life. Not just the everyday stresses but the things that happen out of the blue we don’t expect. How are we able to manufacture good habits to deal with these stresses? There are so many different ways, like losing weight there are literally TONS, to choose from. Some will work for you and some wont. Some are realistic and some are not. you have to choose what works for you. Be serious about this and you will be served well.
For myself, since I am stressed out most days, or are easily transported to the that place pretty quick, I want to try something new. I want to incorporate several ideas that I have heard (from my wife from something she read or heard) or that I have read about dealing with stress.
- Maintain a positive attitude as much and as often as you can.
- Most things aren’t life and death…so don’t panic and go through the roof when someone brings and issue for you to deal with.
- Be thoughtful and kind to others in case they are having a bad day. The expression pay-it-forward with negative emotions as well as positive ones exists so be mindful of saying something mean. Also, say what you mean, don’t shade your words in innuendo or double meanings. Speak plainly. Share a smile or joke instead of snarky sarcastic comments.
- Don’t sweat the petty stuff. Meaning, life is all about problems and solutions. Puzzles and fixes. If your response to everything is knee-jerk fire alarm reaction, likely this will cause you to view even the small issues in life as critical and cause you nothing but fear.
- Be at peace and contentment. Life doesn’t just crap all over you all throughout the day so why be in a crummy mood. You have a choice.
- Think of the good things in your life and focus on those when things are tough. Try to be objective and remove emotion from your responses to the issues at hand so you can make an informed decision as opposed to an emotional one.
- Get excited about something positive.
- Do something nice for someone. Doing something nice for someone else without expectation of compensation is a very great thing to do. The appreciation you are given in return should be enough.
- Stamp out the Grinch mentality within yourself.
For me, several years ago, I was got into a very dark place where I was just angry…with just about everything and everyone around me. It cost me a relationship and I carry tons of emotional scars. I would save each of you from that if I could. The reality is that no one can except for you. I am simply relaying my experiences in-case someone gets a little insight from my experiences and more importantly, it is cathartic for me.
Saying something out loud or writing about it and accepting it are ways I gain a little perspective and humility. Both of which I have struggled with (and still do) each and every day.
Some of these I already practice but I want to incorporate the rest. This will be my recipe for reducing stress in my life.
I will try to update I will keep to myself the things I do to help achieve my goals for they are private (and no one wants to know when I walk an old lady across the street or say have a good day and mean it).
When I started this posting I really had no idea I was going to write about this but it occurred to me, especially recently, that I need better tools to deal with stress and that life isn’t stressful if I don’t let it be. Sure, there will be times when the shit will hit the fan and who may ask yourself “What am I going to do?” Don’t panic, try to be rational, and come up with a solution. Life is about solutions. Not all of them are going to be perfect but freaking out about them isn’t going to change their outcome whatever you decide to do.
More to come…
Have a great day!